Monday, May 08, 2006

a week in the mountains with Japanese people

Golden week is a Japanese phenomenon -- four national holidays in the space of a week means that almost everyone in the nation goes on vacation for the first week of May. Well, when in Japan...
So I hooked up with some friends of a friend and made my way out to Nagano prefecture (it took 7 hours and a convoluted mess of trains to get there, but I made it) and spent the last week trying not to eat this:

but completely enjoying this view:




This is a shrine located in a redwood forest planted, I'm guessing, by monks, as the trees are around the 200- 300-year-old mark


The last day of the week my friends took me out to Issa's house -- he's a Japanese writer, famous for his haiku. (anyone seen the 'Trogdor the Burninator' thing on homestar runner? all week I wanted to scream "thatched-roof cottages! thatched-roof cottages!") Here's a picture of the man himself:

And here's one of Yatsuko-san and me in front of the Kurohime station. She and Yoshi are a great pair.

3 Comments:

At May 08, 2006 4:21 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

ps. for the curious, that first picture (which I like to call "Slimer's autopsy) is a turkey-sized fish head that was brought out on a platter at a banquet. Everyone ELSE at the dinner seemed really excited about it...

 
At May 08, 2006 4:32 AM, Blogger booboo said...

Dude, you didn't eat the fish? What's wrong with you? It looked great!! I missed you tons that week. I love you. I am glad you had fun.

 
At May 08, 2006 2:52 PM, Blogger FastKlane said...

Trogdor. I understand completely, and would be singing under my breath as well.

I was surfing blogs, and your's was very interesting. As my job is a little slow this week, I'm going to be frerquenting your site. No creepiness. Just boredom.

~Kally, Minneapolis, MN

 

Post a Comment

<< Home