Monday, April 24, 2006

Japanese stairmaster deluxe, or Konpirasan

Konpirasan -- a shrine/temple sitting on top of a daunting 1368 step ascent. Well, here I am smiling at the top, so it couldn't have been that bad, right? Luckily for me (and the other swarms of people there -- mainly Japanese) the stairs are broken up by terraces, a garden and a series of toriis and gates that get more impressive the higher you climb. Getting to the top isn't so bad when you get to stop and shop every 100 or so stairs.

Today was field-trip day for the local high schools -- we ran into tons of students eager to talk to us. The group in blue was particularly, er, happy to see us.

Since sakura season, I've become a pretty big fan of flowering trees -- apparently, the Japanese are too.
And: Here is the actual temple of Konpirasan -- the picture doesn't really do it justice. There are engravings and gold leafed doors on the other side. And, best of all, there was a monk hanging out inside.

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2006 8:47 PM, Blogger editorgirl said...

I got your letter! And you are so hot right now.

 
At April 25, 2006 9:19 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Yay! I'm sorry that the mail took so long! I made sure to send it airmail and everything, but it seems like it takes forever for people to get mail from me....anyway, I'm glad you got it!

k

 
At April 27, 2006 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh---sukura. I had forgotten that beautiful word. The cherry blossoms were always so lovely. Sam and Tyler learned a song at school about sakura--it is tickling at the edge of memory. It was beautiful in the minor tones of Japanese music. It is so fun to see your weekly adventures.
Demaree

 
At April 29, 2006 1:54 AM, Blogger booboo said...

I want to say something witty and worthwile about your blog, but I go with you almost everywyhere you take your pictures so all I can say is "I agree." I love you girl You are the cutest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home