Thursday, June 01, 2006

Okinawa honto

Okinawa was incredible -- it was truly a fulfilling experience for me to visit Ryukyu and get a taste for the islander culture they have. Heiwa dori is a market street just off the main drag in Naha -- where I stayed and spend the bulk of my time. It started as a black market during WWII, and has since flourished into a fun asian market.

Here we have the royal Ryukyuan residences. Sorry, I couldn't resist the aliteration. Did I spell that right? I've been out of the country too long. This gate is considered by some to be the symbol of Okinawa -- it's on the Yen equivalent of a $20 bill, which makes it ex-tra cool.
he he he. 1 rootbeer float please. (words I thought I'd never say in Japan.)
This is the street marker for the intersection of two Kuwae streets in Okinawa at Camp Kadena.
I was pretty amazed that I found it. And here are some pics of Kadena:


This is the corner of peace in southern Okinawa where the battle of Okinawa, called the 'typhoon of steel' took place. The memorial here list everyone who died, including civilians and foreign military (in addition to the Japanese and native Okinawans)

and the coast.

1 Comments:

At June 05, 2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was going to say that! But it's true Kristen. Even the handsome secret admirer can see it!

Demaree

 

Post a Comment

<< Home